More and more American consumers are looking for products that are safer for the environment. New research shows that more than one third of all shoppers are concerned with the social and environmental impact they make with the item they purchase. Whether they are looking for sheet sets, towels or bedding sustainable organic cotton products are gaining in their popularity. You can even get organic kids bedding, organic baby gifts, organic baby clothes and organic stuffed animals.
In October, the issue of sustainable organic cotton products and their popularity was front and center at the Textile Exchange Sustainability Conference, held in the nation’s capital. The publication, Sourcing Journal, took a look at what was hot at the ever. According to their piece, the event this year showcased a change in vision of the industry and consumers. Andrew Winston gave the keynote address in which he said, “At the core, this is about a change in vision.”
- More and more companies are jumping on the sustainability train. One reason more manufacturers are looking to make sustainable organic cotton and products with this kind of cotton. One reason for this is the list of recommendations that came from the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals. Caterina Conti, an ambassador for the Textile Exchange noted that the world “sustainable” was being tossed about so much that it lost all real meaning. The goals put forth by the United Nations include how the products impact climate change, responsible use and and production of sustainable products and gender equality. Some countries, such as China, Bangladesh, India and El Salvador are making producing sustainable products a priority.
- The public demands sustainable products and materials.. More and more consumers are requesting products that are made from sustainable organic cotton. The Textile Exchange managing director, La Rhea Peppe, commented that, “IIt is a combination of interventions that is transforming the industry. Company strategies are going beyond concept into full implementation, business models are evolving to support, and technologies are coming online to disrupt current modes of production; As more consumers concern themselves with the ecological impact of the purchases they made, the number of requests for sustainable organic cotton have increased by more than 47%, demands for recycled materials has gone up at least 58%. This increase has taken place over the last year.
- Circularity is the word on everyone’s tongue. Almost everyone is talking about the “circular economy.” At least 24% of companies have already set up a circular strategy for their products. At least another 57% say they are working on developing one. A number of businesses are using post-consumer recycled materials to manufacture their products. The impact and benefits that this kind of recycling cannot be over stated.
- Companies are doing what they to stop global warming. Most people on Earth are looking for ways to reduce global warming. The textile industry is no different. Many companies that manufacture clothing, bedding and other products that can use sustainable organic cotton are looking to cut down on the emissions from their factories. For a long time, climate change was a topic never mentioned inside boardrooms. A lot has changed in that area. At least 200 companies have set a reduction in their carbon footprints as a serious goal. Some manufacturers are setting a goal to reduce the amount of carbon they emit by as much as 50% by the year 2020.
- Switching to new technology that is more environmentally friendly has become a major priority for many companies. There are number of new technologies available today that help companies meet their environmental and sustainability goals.
- Clean water is becoming a more important goal for most companies. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, at least 780 million people have no access to clean water. As a consequence, diarrheal disease kills more children under five, worldwide, than tuberculosis, malaria and HIV combined. One way to increase the amount of people who can access clean water is to reduce the amount of water that is used in making products..
- Investors want to put money into companies that care about the environment. Never before have so many investors been so concerned about the social and environmental impact their investments make on the world.